Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Finding the Words When They Feel Lost

“Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don'tgive up.” ― Anne Lamott

Sometimes when the words feel lost, it isn't about having writer's block, doubt, or fear. Sometimes it is about being so closed off, the words can't come through. You can be so locked down that your words can't find a way to the page.


Art by Morgan Dragonwillow

The page isn't the enemy, it is actually the only place that won't talk back, argue with you, or try to make you be something that you aren't.

You can tell the page anything and everything, your deepest secrets, your deepest longings and it will always be there for you, ready to listen.

We are less than two weeks until OctPoWriMo begins, this is a reminder that you can spend the month breathing onto the page your every thought in whatever form you wish, share or not share, just show up at the page.

Three of my favorite tips from last year:


  1. What Poetry Tools Do You Have?
  2. Why I Was Scared Away From Writing Poetry When I Was Young
  3. To Writers Who Don't Think They Can Write Poetry

OctPoWriMo, where the rules are thrown out the window. Show up to the page and let the words flow.

Count Down: 13 Days until OctPoWriMo!


Morgan Dragonwillow: Rebel dancing with words, intuitive cook, recovering perfectionist, poet & author that (mostly) doesn't let her fears get in the way of her passion for writing and creating. She is team leader at @StoryDam, creatrix of #OctPoWriMo, and you can find her at, A Poet's Kitchen, cooking up simply delicious meals. She lives in Marietta, Ga. with her loving and patient partner, their dog that thinks she's a princess, and the cat that reminds her that she isn't.
You can find me at Google+

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you sign up to receive our updates, tips and prompts to share in all the poetry fun!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. I know times like these... when no effort will do the trick to bring a poem to the page. Tenacity and time always seem to win for me. In these last few days before OctPoWriMo begins, I am creating piles of lines on index cards to glean from later if I run into this problem. It works for me. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my three by five cards but I haven't used them for poetry yet, just in building manuscripts. Typically if I'm feeling stuck with poetry I open a book or dictionary and pick a word. Part of my problem is that I've been working on my latest book and even when I'm not working on it I feel like I can't work on other writing projects (poetry) until it is done. Of course with OctPoWriMo I'm going to have to get over that. :D

      Delete