Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Finding Your Way - "The Artist's Way"


“No matter what your age or your life path, whether making art is your career or your hobby or your dream, it is not too late or too egotistical or too selfish or too silly to work on your creativity.” ~ Julia Cameron

Do you feel like you’re not very creative? Surprise! You ARE creative, probably more so than you realize!

Have you ever felt that your creativity was blocked? Of course you have! We all feel that way from time to time!

Would you like to rediscover the joy and freedom of creativity the way you did when you were a child? Remember the fun of pretending and playing make believe? You can have that much fun again any time you want!




In Julia Cameron’s international bestseller “The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Guide to Higher Creativity”, she offers a set of tools and exercises to help you reclaim the gift of your own creativity. This does not mean that you have to want to write a novel or paint a masterpiece. This creative journey (and I do believe it’s a journey!) will help you access your own creativity in whatever area you want to innovate and bring about unique change. 


“But do you know how old I will be by the time I learn to really play the piano / act / paint / write a decent play?"
Yes . . . the same age you will be if you don't.”  ~ Julia Cameron

My husband is one of the people who would tell you he’s not creative. He doesn't write, paint, or sculpt. He doesn't dance, sing or act. He told me flat out that he is not creative. I was quick to point out to him where I see creativity in action with him. He is an amazing cook. He enjoys preparing and serving food for friends and family (and has also done so professionally for a time). His “paint” is the food he cooks and his canvas is the empty plate. So whether you want to explore one of the more traditional arts or you want to bring more creativity to the work you do, I believe there’s something for you in this book.

“Creativity requires activity…And most of us hate to do something when we can obsess about something else instead.” ~ Julia Cameron

The first tool explained in detail in the book is Morning Pages. In my own creative journey, I have found these to be absolutely invaluable in getting back to my own imagination. Morning pages sound simple, but the impact is surprisingly profound. They are intended to be 3 handwritten pages that are completed every morning. Handwritten? Seriously? Sure! We activate a different part of our brain when we write things long-hand. You don’t have to worry about anyone reading them. In fact, Julia recommends that you don’t even read them yourself. They aren't intended to be read. They are, as I see it, a morning brain dump. I use my morning pages to record dreams I've had the night before, to vent about things that are stressing me, or to make a list of things I need to get done. It really doesn't matter what you write about. What matters is that you write. Morning pages alone can be a very powerful tool, but combined with the other activities and exercises, you will soon find yourself spilling over with creative energy!

As we prepare for October Poetry Writing Month, consider trying morning pages. You will be surprised at how quickly the process will open your poetic mind!

For more information on Julia Cameron and The Artist’s Way, please visit her website at http://juliacameronlive.com/.

~ Amy McGrath

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I am a big fan of Julia Cameron, too - and Morning Pages changed my life. In fact, I wouldn't be the artist I am today without her influence.... I actually prefer some of her later books, but I think the Artists's Way is like a cornerstone. Thank you for suggesting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I, too, am a huge fan. I have been realizing lately just how important Morning Pages can be. Whenever I feel like I'm losing my way in my creative pursuits or just in LIFE, when I check in with myself I often notice that I've let my morning pages slip for a few days (or more). When I return to the daily habit, the pieces begin to fall back in place.

      Delete
  2. This was a really interesting post. and also , It reminded me of a similar book I bought some years back but have never opened. Guess it would be good to use it some time soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing books are great for inspiration and motivation. I have many of Julia Cameron's books. I haven't done morning pages in awhile, it is probably time I got back to it! Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete